Students Supporting the Right to Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Questions or Suggestions

2 posters

Go down

Any Questions or Suggestions Empty Any Questions or Suggestions

Post  Erik Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 pm

The formatting isn't exactly the same as it is in the word document that I sent in the e-mail but it should work. You can ask any questions about why a part is the way it is or you can offer a suggestion for how I can change it. We can then all discuss the best way to alter it to make it work for our needs. I stopped by A254 and left a copy for Talia to see what we needed to change. I haven't heard back from her yet, but when I do I will post her suggested changes here.
Like I said in the email, we really need to try and get everything submitted so that we can get on with the real purpose of the group so I would like to try and get a final document that we all like by next Wednesday. That means if you have any suggestions for changes please post them by Friday or Saturday that way we can come up with solutions to any problems by Wednesday.

Students Supporting the Right to Life
McHenry County College
Thursday, October 21, 2010

Article I. PREAMBLE
Section 1. PURPOSE: General
The Students Supporting the Right to Life organization exists to enrich
and contribute to the McHenry County College community.
Section 2. PURPOSE: Specific
Members of the Students Supporting the Right to Life will work to save lives threatened by induced abortion, euthanasia and destruction of human embryos for research. In furtherance of these goals, members seek to promote respect for life at McHenry County College and in the surrounding community, to educate on life issues, to help those in need so that life is a promising choice and to work with others who share common goals. To provide educational information to those within the college and the community, concerning issues deemed relevant to our goals. Support those who seek political office who support the pro-life cause.
Section 3. NON DISCRIMINATION
The Students Supporting the Right to Life shall not be discriminatory in
terms of race, sex, religion, national origin, financial or social status.
Section 4. OFF-CAMPUS ISSUES
This organization and/or its members, when taking stands on issues, recognizes and will fulfill the obligation to make clear that it/they in no way represent(s) the official position of McHenry County College.
Article II . NAME
The official name of the organization shall be the Students Supporting the Right to Life, McHenry County College.
Article III. MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. CATEGORIES OF MEMBERSHIP
Sub-Section 1. VOTING MEMBER
Shall be defined as any student who has fulfilled the requirements outlined in Article III, Section 2, Sub-Section 1. This membership is considered a privilege and must be treated as such. This membership includes the right, when present, to cast a vote at any and all organization meetings.
Sub-Section 2. NON-VOTING MEMBER
Shall be defined as any student who has fulfilled the requirements outlined in Article III, Section 2, Sub-Section 2. This membership is considered a privilege and must be treated as such. This membership does not include the right to cast a vote at any and all organization meetings, but it does allow the right to participate in all meetings.
Section 2. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Active Members must be of student status, with the minimum required grade point average (GPA) and in good standing with the college. No Student shall be denied membership on the basis of race, sex, religion, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Sub-Section 1. VOTING MEMBER
To become a voting member a student must make a written or verbal request to the President or Recorder. The member must then attend 4 meetings. Once these requirements have been met the student is considered a member. To maintain membership the student must continue to attend at least 25% of all regular meetings during the semester. If these requirements cannot be fulfilled due to extraordinary circumstances, a minimum of three officers may at their discretion, consent to dismiss one or more of the requirements to allow that individual voting membership.
Sub-Section 2. NON-VOTING MEMBER
Shall be defined as any student who has not yet fulfilled all of the requirements outlined in Article III, Section 2, Sub-Section 1, and has not received consent to dismiss the unfulfilled requirements. This shall also include those who have failed to maintain their membership as outlined in Article III, Section 2, Sub-Section 1.

Section 3. SUSPENSION
Sub-Section 1. REASONS FOR SUSPENSION
Any student may have their membership suspended for reasons including, but not limited to: misrepresentation of the group, misconduct, violation of the terms set forth by the constitution, etc.
Sub-Section 2. PROCESS FOR SUSPENSION
Any Member may be suspended at the discretion of the officers. A vote will be taken among the officers with the ballots being counted by the advisor. A simple majority is required for suspension and all officers must cast a vote.
Sub-Section 3. REINSTATEMENT
The reinstatement of membership must be brought as a motion by a current voting member at a meeting where a quorum is present. A vote will be taken by secret ballot and a simple majority is required for reinstatement. Reinstatement is immediate and the reinstated member can participate in the meeting beginning immediately after their reinstatement.

Article IV. OFFICERS
Officers will serve a term equal to approximately one semester. No student may hold an office for a period of more than four terms. However, they do have the option of running for another office.
Section 1. CATEGORIES OF OFFICERS
The Officers shall include the following:
President
Vice President
Treasurer
Recorder
Secretary
Section 2. DUTIES
Sub-Section 1. President
1. Schedule and organize meetings and activities.
2. Conduct the meetings.
3. Provide general upkeep of the club.
4. Appoint Members to committees to coordinate specific events or activities.
5. May appoint any voting member to temporarily fulfill the in-meeting duties of the recorder, in the event that the recorder is absent from any meeting.
6. Perform any other duties as assigned in the constitution.
Sub-Section 2. Vice President
1. If the president is unable to perform any of the tasks outlined in Article IV Section 2 Sub-Section 1, it will be the responsibility of the vice president to temporarily takeover that particular role or responsibility.
2. Perform any reasonable task requested of them by the President to further the goals of the organization.
3. Handles Publicity.
4. Attend any external meetings with which the group could be associated and in addition establishes relationships with community groups, i.e. pregnancy care centers and local pro-life organizations.
5. Organizes regular recruitment drives.
6. Maintain the website.
7. Perform any other duties as assigned in the constitution.
Sub-Section 3. Treasurer
1. Collects donations.
2. Handles fundraising.
3. Reports finances.
4. Perform any other duties as assigned in the constitution.
Sub-Section 4. Recorder
1. Updates and maintains membership lists and takes roll.
2. Keeps minutes at meetings.
3. Counts election, impeachment and amendment ballots and announces results immediately after the vote is taken.
Sub-Section 4. Secretary
1. Keeps track of the schedule.
2. Sends out e-mail reminders.
3. Ensures promotion of events on campus, including but not limited to using the resources available through the Office of Student Life.
Section 3. ELIGIBILITY
At the time of assuming office and during tenure in office, an elected officer must meet all of the eligibility requirements as stated by the college.
Article V. ELECTIONS
Section 1. NOMINATIONS
A minimum of one week prior to the election meeting a nominating meeting will be held. During the nominating meeting any voting member may make a motion to nominate any other voting member for an office. The nominee need not be present. If the nominee wishes to reject the nomination they may do so in writing to the secretary or president, with 3 days of the nominating meeting. Nominations will follow the procedure outlined in Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition Section 46 for nominations from the floor.
Section 2. TIME OF ELECTION
Elections will be held in the 14th week of the fall and spring semesters, a minimum of one week after the nominating meeting.
Section 3. PROCEDURE
Elections will be by ballot. Winner will be determined by a majority. In the event of a tie the ballot will be repeated as many times as necessary to obtain a majority vote for a single candidate. No candidate will be removed from the ballot unless they withdraw.
Section 4. ASSUMPTION OF OFFICE
The officer-elect will assume their office immediately following the end of the election.
Section 5. VACANCIES
If an officer resigns or is unable or unwilling to complete his/her term, nominations will be accepted from the floor and the new officer will be elected one meeting later following the procedures in Article V Section 3.
Article VI . MEETINGS
Section 1. REGULAR MEETINGS
Regular meetings will be held a minimum of once per month during the fall and spring semesters as well as during the times specified for elections. All meetings will follow standard parliamentary procedure. The order of business will be as outlined in Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition Section 41. The recorder will pass around a sign-in-sheet and keep minutes of the meeting. Regular procedures shall be established by the officers for notifying members of each meeting. Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition Shall be the parliamentary authority.
Section 2. SPECIAL MEETINGS
Special meetings can be called as needed by the president or by any voting member with the approval of two officers, for specific purposes that warrant an unscheduled meeting. The meetings must follow the same procedures as the regular meetings, but may only address the issue that the meeting was called for. A quorum still must be present for a vote to take place.
ArticleVI I . QUORUM
Two thirds of the voting members must be present at a meeting in order for any vote to be taken.
Article VIII . COMMITTEES
Section 1. ELIGIBILITY
At the time of assuming responsibility for a committee and during tenure in office, a committee chairman must meet all the eligibility requirements as stated by the college.
Section 2. COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
Shall be as defined in Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition Section 52. The Chairman shall be the Vice-President.
Section 3. EXECUTIVE BOARD
There shall be a committee consisting of the elected officers and the advisor. This committee may meet to conduct business as required by this constitution. Meetings must follow standard procedures including roll call and minutes. A Quorum for the Executive Board shall be defined as 5/6 of the members. The President will serve as the Chairman.
Section 2. LITERATURE COMMITTEE
Shall have the purpose of selecting and obtaining literature for distribution to members, students and the community. Shall consist of 5 members. Committee shall be filled by nominations from the floor. Nominations and conduct as a committee shall be as outlined in Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition Section 50.
Section 2. CANDIDATES COMMITTEE
Shall be responsible for informing the assembly and community of local, state and federal candidates positions on pro-life issues. Shall consist of 3 members. Committee shall be filled by nominations from the floor. Nominations and conduct as a committee shall be as outlined in Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition Section 50.
Article IX. DUES
There will be no requirement of dues. At any point a donation can be made to the organization. The donation should be delivered to the treasurer in the presence of at least three voting members.
Article X. ADVISOR
Section 1. ELIGIBILITY
The Students Supporting the Right to Life shall have an advisor over 21 years of age who shall be a member of the faculty, administration, or staff of McHenry County College. The advisor may not be on leave of absence at any time during his/her term of appointment.
Section 2. SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT
At the first meeting of the spring semester nominations will be taken for an advisor. Any Voting Member may bring a nomination from the floor. Actual appointment of an advisor will be made by the coordinator of Student Life and Campus Activities.
Section 3. DUTIES
The advisor’s responsibilities include attendance at organizational meetings, participation in as many activities as is practical, singing all forms related to the disbursements of funds, and other duties as outlined by the office of Student Life and Campus Activities.
Article XI . AMENDMENT
Section 1. MEANS OF AMENDMENT
A motion may be brought to the floor by any voting member as a proposal to amend the constitution, but a vote on the issue cannot be called until the next meeting. A vote will be taken by counted show of hands and a 2/3 majority is required for amendment.
Section 2. APPROVAL
All amendment(s) to this constitution shall be filed with the office of Student Life and Campus Activities, indicating the date and method of adoption. Any amendments(s) which change(s) the purpose or constitution's provisions shall be approved by the Coordinator of Student Life and Campus Activities before taking effect.
Section 3. COMPLIANCE
This constitution shall not conflict with the policies and regulations of McHenry County College, and Trustees of McHenry County College, or the State of Illinois.
Any stipulations applying to all chartered organizations made by the Coordinator of Student Life and Campus Activities or the college shall be considered to be immediately enforceable, whether contained in these constitution provisions or not.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik
Erik
Admin

https://sstrtl.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Any Questions or Suggestions Empty Constitution

Post  Ned Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:50 pm

I read over the constitution that you sent around via Email and it looked excellent to me. I agree that we must push the club forward to get this done as soon as possible so we can actually start on what our mission is.

Ned

Ned

Back to top Go down

Any Questions or Suggestions Empty Re: Any Questions or Suggestions

Post  Regina D. Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 am

Awsum Job! I think it looks great! The only thing I noticed was in the general purpose, it sounded a little fragmented, like it wasn't complete sentences in some places. I had a little trouble trying to read it. But other than that it looks good! Can't wait to finally get the ball rollin!! Smile

Regina D.

Back to top Go down

Post  Erik Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:46 am

I dropped off the current version of the constitution in the Student Life office today. I will let you all know what changes she has when I hear back from her.
Erik
Erik
Admin

https://sstrtl.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum